Learn how to make iOS games using Apple's brand new 2D game framework: Sprite Kit. Through a series of mini-games and challenges, you will go from beginner to advanced and learn everything you need to make your own game!
iOS Games by Tutorials covers the following topics:
- Sprites: Get started quickly and get your images onto your screen.
- Manual Movement: Move sprites manually with a crash course on 2D math.
- Actions: Learn how to move sprites the "easy way" using Sprite Kit actions.
- Scenes and Transitions: Make multiple screens in your app and move between them.
- Physics: Add realistic physics behavior into your games.
- Beyond Sprites: Add video nodes, core image filters, and custom shapes.
- Particle Systems: Add explosions, star fields, and other special effects.
- Adding “Juice”: Take your game from good to great by polishing it until it shines.
- Game Center: Add achievements, leaderboards, & multiplayer support to your games.
- Accelerometer: Learn how to control your game through tilting your device.
- UIKit: Combine the power of UIKit with the Sprite Kit framework.
- AirPlay: Display your game on the Apple TV with the device as a controller.
- Tile Maps: Make games that use tile maps.
- Scrolling: Make levels that scroll across the screen.
- And much more, including: Fonts and text, saving and loading games, and three bonus downloadable chapters!
The iOS Tutorial Team takes pride in making sure each tutorial we write holds to the highest standards of quality. We want our tutorials to be well written, easy to follow, and fun. And we don’t want to just skim the surface of a subject – we want to really dig into it, so you can truly understand how it works and apply the knowledge directly in your own apps.
By the time you’re finished reading this book, you will have made 5 complete mini-games from scratch, from zombie action to space shooter to top-down racer!
Table of Contents
Section I: Getting Started
Chapter 1: Sprites
Chapter 2: Manual Movement
Chapter 3: Actions
Chapter 4: Scenes
Chapter 5: Scrolling
Section II: Labels and Particle Systems
Chapter 6: Labels
Chapter 7: Particle Systems
Section III: Physics and Nodes
Chapter 8: Beginning Physics
Chapter 9: Intermediate Physics
Chapter 10: Advanced Physics
Chapter 11: Crop, Video, and Shape Nodes
Chapter 12: Effect Nodes and Core Image
Section IV: Tile Maps and Juice
Chapter 13: Beginning Tile Maps
Chapter 14: More Tile Maps
Chapter 15: Imported Tile Maps
Chapter 16: Saving and Loading Games
Chapter 17: Juice Up Your Game, Part 1
Chapter 18: Juice Up Your Game, Part 2
Section V: Other Game APIs
Chapter 19: UIKit
Chapter 20: Accelerometer
Chapter 21: Game Center Achievements
Chapter 22: Game Center Leaderboards
Chapter 23: Game Center Multiplayer Gaming
Chapter 24: AirPlay
Chapter 25: Performance: Texture Atlases
Chapter 26: Performance: Tips and Tricks
Chapter 27: Making Art for Programmers
- Title: iOS Games by Tutorials
- Author: Christopher LaPollo, Jake Gundersen, Kauserali Hafizji, Marin Todorov, Matthijs Hollemans, Mike Berg, Mike Daley, Ray Wenderlich, Rod Strougo, Tom Bradley
- Length: 824 pages
- Edition: 1
- Language: English
- Publisher: Razeware LLC
- Publication Date: 2013-09-05
- ISBN-10: 0989675114
- ISBN-13: 9780989675116