Discover Android programming and web development by understanding the concepts of Kotlin Programming
- Practical solutions to your common programming problems with Kotlin 1.1
- Leverage the functional power of Kotlin to ease your Android application development
- Learn to use Java code in conjunction with Kotlin
The Android team has announced first-class support for Kotlin 1.1. This acts as an added boost to the language and more and more developers are now looking at Kotlin for their application development. This recipe-based book will be your guide to learning the Kotlin programming language.
The recipes in this book build from simple language concepts to more complex applications of the language. After the fundamentals of the language, you will learn how to apply the object-oriented programming features of Kotlin 1.1. Programming with Lambdas will show you how to use the functional power of Kotlin.
This book has recipes that will get you started with Android programming with Kotlin 1.1, providing quick solutions to common problems encountered during Android app development. You will also be taken through recipes that will teach you microservice and concurrent programming with Kotlin. Going forward, you will learn to test and secure your applications with Kotlin. Finally, this book supplies recipes that will help you migrate your Java code to Kotlin and will help ensure that it's interoperable with Java.
What you will learn
- Understand the basics and object-oriented concepts of Kotlin Programming
- Explore the full potential of collection frameworks in Kotlin
- Work with SQLite databases in Android, make network calls, and fetch data over a network
- Use Kotlin's Anko library for efficient and quick Android development
- Uncover some of the best features of Kotlin: Lambdas and Delegates
- Set up web service development environments, write servlets, and build RESTful services with Kotlin
- Learn how to write unit tests, integration tests, and instrumentation/acceptance tests.
Who This Book Is For
This book will appeal to Kotlin developers keen to find solutions for their common programming problems. Java programming knowledge would be an added advantage.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Installation and working with Environment
Chapter 2 Control flow
Chapter 3 Classes and Objects
Chapter 4 Functions
Chapter 5 Object oriented programming
Chapter 6 Collections Framework
Chapter 7 Handling File operations in Kotlin
Chapter 8 Anko Commons and Extension function
Chapter 9 Anko Layouts
Chapter 10 Databases and Dependency Injection
Chapter 11 Networking and Concurrency
Chapter 12 Lambdas and Delegates
Chapter 13 Testing
Chapter 14 Web services with Kotlin